If you are a regular on the blog and read it often (which I know you all do ;) ) than you’ll know that I already posted a recipe for chocolate tapioca but I wanted to make a different recipe because coconut milk tends to have a high fat count and I wanted something a wee bit lighter. For the Vanilla Dairy Free Rice Pudding recipe I used almond milk instead of the coconut milk (but coconut milk is def richer so go nuts!). I tried to use a little less sugar than I found on other recipes and realized I could have even put in less! Also this recipe doesn’t use starch so it’s more like pudding than the tapioca recipe.
Gluten Free Garage was kind enough to drop off and amazing tote bag full of delicious gluten free treats, one of which was Holy Crap! So far to add a little extra oomph in my breakfast, I’ve tried it on oatmeal and yogurt and I love it! It makes the flavours that much more delicious. I figured it would be the perfect match for my rice pudding and I was right. You just need to add a tbsp and that’s more than enough! This is what makes Holy Crap amazing:
- gluten free
- lactose free
- salt free
- nut free
- high in fiber and iron
- source of calcium
- source of omega-3 and -6
- no cooking required
You can find Holy Crap in most grocery stores, I know for sure the Sobeys by my house has it!
SO the Gluten Free Garage is happening November 17th! I went earlier this year and it’s definitely an amazing event at a really great venue. I’ve been to a couple gluten free/healthy eating type trade show things and this one is my favourite!
Ok so here’s the rice pudding recipe:
- 3 cups Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup Pearl Tapioca
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup granulated organic white sugar or your choice of sweetener (agave, stevia, coconut sugar..)
- 1 tbs Holy Crap!
- Soak the tapioca pearls in water over night (or about 6-8 hrs)
- Place the water saturated tapioca pearls into a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Add the almond milk and sugar.
- Over low heat, stir frequently until the tapioca is completely see-through and no longer white (about 10-15 mins)
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla
- Pour into bowl and stir in the Holy Crap!