Happy 2016! It’s taken me a while to write a new post. I took a long break during Christmas and then decided I needed more time away from the internet after that. I think I may have taken on too much freelance work along with my full time job and etsy shop last year. I desperately needed some time to just relax and settle in to my new home. I did learn from that experience though! From now on I’m going to schedule my freelance work, etsy shop and blogging better. I’m trying out a new tool called ‘Buffer’ so hopefully that will help me with planning ahead so I don’t have to think about posting on a daily basis (which is slightly overwhelming).
I’m starting this blogging year off easy with Super Easy Vanilla Granola! I keep this granola in a jar and use it with my smoothie bowls (I’m obsessed!). This recipe is really simple and the flavour isn’t too strong. I added dried blueberries my first time making this and loved it but didn’t have any on hand the second time around.
*note – I did find this recipe on the internet but couldn’t find the original source
You need a lot of oats (2 1/2 cups), make sure to purchase the Gluten Free Rolled Oats Even though oats are naturally gluten free, they aren’t normally processed in a gluten free environment which means there can be cross-contamination.
Next you’ll want to add in you almonds or another type of nut or even dried fruit plus all your seasonings like cinnamon and salt. The great thing about a recipe like this is you can pretty much do whatever you want.
Now you’ll want to mix the syrup, honey, oil and extracts together and then pour over the oats. Toss until the oats are fully covered. Spread onto a baking sheet covered in parchment paper and bake for 25 mins at 300 degrees.
Make sure to let it completely cool as this will help it get crunchy. Store in an air tight container and use in your cereal, on top of yogurt or ice cream or smoothie bowls. You can throw some in a zip-lloc bag and bring it with you to snack on during the day!
- 2 and 1/2 cups gluten free large rolled oats
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds (or other nuts)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Toss the oats, almonds, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the maple syrup, almond extract, vanilla extract and coconut oil together until combined.
- Pour over the oats and toss to coat. Make sure all of the oats are covered.
- Spread onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Allow granola to cool completely