Mango Black Rice and Tofu
I’m new to tofu, I found a good marinade and just changed it a bit so it suits me more and I love it! I now use tofu in my salads, omelets, and even pasta! I also love it because it’s pretty inexpensive and doesn’t take a lot of effort to cook. I have tried this marinade with both natural maple syrup and Aunt Jemima, and I have to say that actually aunt jemima made it taste better :/
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained and cut into slices
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Dry tofu but wrapping in paper towel, place on cutting board and press with heave plate or a plate with something heavy on top.
- After cutting tofu into desired sizes place in a shallow dish. Mix all ingredients and pour on top of tofu.
- Cover dish and place in fridge and let marinade over night.
- To grill the tofu I place them on my George Foreman because it's super easy, fast and I still get those fun grill lines :)
This is a great salad for the summer, it’s so light and refreshing but yet really filling. I thought the black rice looked like little bugs… I found it over at vegangela.com
- 1 orange
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup black rice
- ripe mango
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup almond slivers
- 3 scallions, diced
- red pepper flakes
- Peel orange using a knife to take away the white outer layer under the peel. Work with the orange over a bowl so you it catches the juices. Take apart the slices and gently squeeze them over the bowl to collect more juice. Put orange pieces aside.
- Add lime juice and oil to the bowl with orange juice and set aside.
- Bring ride and 11/2 cups water to a boil, turn to medium heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes. If you find the rice isn't soft enough add more water and let it simmer longer.
- Remove rice from the hot pot and drizzle with orange juice mixture, toss and add salt. Let cool.
- Place mango and remaining ingredients in a large bowl and combine with rice.