Mango Black Rice and Tofu is the perfect summer recipe, it’s really colourful – I can picture it tossed in a bright bowl and being served by the pool. I’m new to tofu, but once you’ve figured out how to drain it and different ways of cooking it, it’s not hard at all and so easy to add to any recipe. I found a good tofu marinade and just changed it a bit so it suits me more and I love it! I now use tofu in my salads, omelets, and even pasta! I also love it because it’s pretty inexpensive and doesn’t take a lot of effort to cook. I have tried this marinade with both natural maple syrup and Aunt Jemima, and I have to say that actually aunt jemima made it taste better :/
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained and cut into slices
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Dry tofu but wrapping in paper towel, place on cutting board and press with heave plate or a plate with something heavy on top.
- After cutting tofu into desired sizes place in a shallow dish. Mix all ingredients and pour on top of tofu.
- Cover dish and place in fridge and let marinade over night.
- To grill the tofu I place them on my George Foreman because it's super easy, fast and I still get those fun grill lines :)
This is a great salad for the summer, it’s so light and refreshing but yet really filling. I thought the black rice looked like little bugs… I found it over at vegangela.com
- 1 orange
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup black rice
- ripe mango
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup almond slivers
- 3 scallions, diced
- red pepper flakes
- Peel orange using a knife to take away the white outer layer under the peel. Work with the orange over a bowl so you it catches the juices. Take apart the slices and gently squeeze them over the bowl to collect more juice. Put orange pieces aside.
- Add lime juice and oil to the bowl with orange juice and set aside.
- Bring ride and 11/2 cups water to a boil, turn to medium heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes. If you find the rice isn't soft enough add more water and let it simmer longer.
- Remove rice from the hot pot and drizzle with orange juice mixture, toss and add salt. Let cool.
- Place mango and remaining ingredients in a large bowl and combine with rice.