This post should actually be called ‘The weekend I ate only beans’. Little did I know that everything I made (and my boyfriend’s dad made) was pretty much some sort of bean dish. Let’s just say I’m good if I don’t eat any beans for a long time.
Ok so here’s what I ate:
Gluten Free Camping Meals:
Vegetarian Chilli & Corn on the Cob
Mango Bean Salad
Black Bean Quinoa Burgers with Roasted Veggies
Gluten Free Chick Pea & Sweet Potato Burrito
Oatmeal w/ Banana
The chilli was actually generously provided by my boyfriend’s dad and was eaten late at night so I don’t have a photo of that deliciousness (or the recipe) but this is my recipe for slow cooker chilli (not vegetarian).
Mango Bean Salad:
This is my favourite bean salad ever! Again made by my boyfriend’s dad. I’m not sure exactly what spices he uses but the dressing is more of a vinaigrette (main ingredient is red wine vinegar), there is a mixture of spices as well as mixed beans, mango, onion, yellow and orange pepper and garlic. I ate the whole container and didn’t share :)
Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
- 1.5 cans black beans, rinsed and strained
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 - 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 - 2 teaspoons steak spice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Zest & juice of lime
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 egg white
- Add beans, shallot, garlic, spices, lime zest, juice and hot sauce into the bowl of a blender or food processor.
- Process until the mixture is the texture of a very chunky puree with some whole beans left. Transfer this mixture to a mixing bowl.Add cooked quinoa and egg white and stir together to form your patty.
- Shape the mixture into 6 patties and chill in the fridge for at least 1/2 an hour, more if you have time.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the patties to the pan. Cook about 3 - 5 minutes per side.
- Freeze in individual ziploc bags for later!
For my roasted veggies I took a long a little spice jar that had oil and different spices mixed together. I brought my veggies pre cut, smothered them with oil and folded in tin foil and let them roast on the fire.
Chickpea and Sweet Potato Burrito
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 can vegetarian re-fried beans
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 6-8 Gluten Free Tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Peel and quarter the sweet potatoes
- Place potato on lined baking sheet, bake for 45 minutes to one hour, until soft
- In the meantime, prepare rice on stove top (about 2.5 cups water for 1 cup rice)
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and toss into a mixing bowl
- Mash sweet potatoes with the salsa and rice.
- Place sweet potato mash in a sauce pan and mix in chickpeas and refried beans, heating mixture thoroughly over medium heat
- Add onion powder, chili powder and cumin to taste and stir, add jalapeños.
- Place mixture on tortilla and fold up.
I hope that helps, if anything you’ve got some more ways to eat beans!! beans beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you ….