I’m sure you can tell that I love Breakfast. I recently made a post with 7 different gluten free vegan breakfast ideas because I was trying to move away from oats every morning. I think having oatmeal daily upsets my stomach and my digestion. I try and only eat oatmeal twice a week now. I found another breakfast recipe to add to my collection, Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl. I have tried quinoa flakes as an oatmeal alternative in the past and if I’m honest with myself, I really don’t enjoy eating them. No matter what I add, there is still a flavour that I don’t love first thing in the morning. Based on that experience I was hesitant to try quinoa for breakfast.
I’m definitely more of a sweet than savoury person so this quinoa breakfast bowl is 100% sweet (but in a healthy way). I started by rinsing 1/2 cup quinoa, adding that to 1 cup of almond milk and 1 cup of hazelnut milk in a pot. (By the way, my breakfast recipes are always measured for 1 serving because by fiancée has no interest in anything other than bacon :)) Bring the milk and quinoa mixture to a boil and then reduce to medium with the lid half covering the pot. Let simmer until the quinoa has absorbed all the liquid (20 mins).
While the quinoa is boiling mash 1/2 a banana in a bowl and mix with 1 tbsp cocoa, vanilla and maple syrup. You can use the other half of the banana as a topping (I was too hungry to wait so I ate it while waiting).
When the quinoa is ready, add it to the bowl with the banana mixture and stir until combined.
At this point you can add more milk to thin it out and make it more like a cereal or just leave it as is.
Pick your favourite toppings and place them on top of your quinoa. I used hemp seeds, strawberries, almond slices, cocoa nibs and chocolate shavings.
I used a dark chocolate bar from Trader Joe’s and used a pairing knife to get the shavings.
Quinoa is a good source of protein, fiber, iron, copper, thiamin and vitamin B6 which makes it a great breakfast option. You can pretty much make it like you would oatmeal, so get creative and use your favourite ingredients!
- 1/2 cup uncooked white quinoa
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup hazelnut (or chocolate) milk
- pinch sea salt
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Sliced almonds
- Dark chocolate
- Hemp hearts
- 1. Rinse quinoa thoroughly.
- 2. Add quinoa and milks to a pot and bring to a boil.
- 3. Once boiling reduce to a simmer and cover for about 20 mins until all the liquid is absorbed. Add more if the quinoa isn't fluffy enough.
- 4. Smash 1/2 a banana in a bowl and mix in the cocoa, maple syrup and vanilla.
- 5. Add the cooked quinoa to the banana mixture and stir until combined.
- 6. Top with whatever you want!